Tuesday, February 3, 2009

who i am

I am curious.  About questions I don’t have the answers to.  About what’s happening in the cubicle next to me.  About the events of history, especially the mysterious and unsolved ones.  About affection and dating and soul-mates and unrequited love. About what’s in store for me.  About how the same piece of art can be inspiring or depressing, priceless or worthless, a masterpiece or simply colors on a page, all depending on how you look at it.  On how you see it.

I love making people laugh.  And I love-love being told I’m funny. I tease more than I should.  Especially when it comes to members of the opposite sex. But when it comes down to it, I just want there always to be something to laugh about, even if it’s at my own expense.

I’m a sports nut.  And a little bit (okay, in all honesty, a lota’ bit) of a tomboy.  I tried to convince our high-school football coach that he should give me a shot at quarterback.  He thought I was joking.  And I suppose I was.  Sort of.

I interrupt.  Often because I think I know what’s coming next.  Usually, though, I’m wrong.

I am strong-willed. I like to think it’s just a healthy dose of confidence, but I’m afraid it’s also a bit of stubbornness.  I have a tendency to want things my way.  And I usually don’t realize it until it’s too late.

I need at least two tries every time I parallel park.  Even though I’ve lived in the city for over three years.

I am naïve.  Sometimes this is the very best thing about me.  You’d be surprised how wonderful the world can seem when you forget all the things that make you jaded and, instead, approach things with a child-like innocence.  But, then again, sometimes it’s not a good thing at all.

I sing along to every song I know.  Regardless of who’s around to hear me.

I am a little bit strange.  And sometimes difficult.  But I am always going to be there if you need me.  I am good at giving advice and getting better at just shutting up and listening.  I am rarely late.  I am a firm believer in putting on pajamas as soon as I get home from work.  In being willing to share, but keeping some things to yourself.  And in the power of a hug.

I am still figuring myself out, although I like to think I have a pretty good start.  I am growing up.  Sometimes the hard way.  Sometimes against my will.  But always, always up.

No comments:

Post a Comment