Wednesday, December 15, 2010

time out

I had the luxury this morning of heading to focus groups, starting at 10am, rather than into the office at the normal 8/8:30. And even though I spent all night and most of the morning working from home, it was nice to have a couple extra minutes to myself this morning to break out of the routine. So, I took advantage of the late start and headed over to Einstein Brothers to pick up a bagel and a cup of coffee and just sit there for a half hour or so and eat breakfast. Ahhh, it really is the little things.

And as I was enjoying my little half-hour breakfast break, the little girl next to me took a liking to me and decided to come over and say 'hi'. So, instead of using the half hour to respond to a couple emails and check a couple more items off my to-do list, I just spent it playing peek-a-boo and giving high-fives and laughing with this little girl. And you know what? Even though I was a bit further behind by the time I left breakfast, it absolutely made my day. I needed it.

It reminded me of something I've been forgetting lately; that it's so easy to get so caught up in work and all these things that seem oh, so important. It's so easy to lose sight of the fact that life, indeed, will go on even if (heaven forbid) our newest TV spot goes on air on the 11th of January instead of the 10th. Even if the client gives us feedback on Wednesday instead of Tuesday. Even if I don't respond to every single email every night. Life (my life, even) will most certainly go on.

I'm learning this more and more. Learning how to take a step back and breathe. To put the Blackberry away for a couple minutes to just enjoy cooking dinner or a birthday celebration or How I Met Your Mother. To accept the things I don't have control over and learn how to roll with the punches.

It's not the easiest lesson for a perfectionist, type-A personality like myself to embrace, but it's such an important one.

So, I'm trying. I'm getting better. But I'm definitely not all the way there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment