Wednesday, May 19, 2010

beauty and the beast

I sort of hate being told I'm beautiful.

Now, before you scoff. (Or tell me I'm stuck-up. Or a brat. Or worse.) Hear me out. Can you think of any other complement in the history of the world that's more overused? It's cliche. It's easy. It doesn't take any thought at all. And it certainly doesn't take any observation on the behalf of the admirer. It's the dozen red roses of complements.

And yet, like a dozen red roses, most girls will swoon over receiving it.

Not me.

I'm sure some guys may really mean it when they say it, but I have a hard time not wanting to punch them in the face when they do. I almost get offended. Like does this guy really think I'm the kind of girl that will just fall all crazy in love just because he says I'm beautiful? Give me a break, buster. It's going to take a lot more than that.

It's going to take some thought on your part. You're going to have to notice something that no one else has. Or figure out what matters to me. Figure out the sort of complement I want to receive. Not the complement that comes easiest. And if it takes you a couple weeks, even a couple months to figure it out? Well, that's fine. I'd take a genuine, unique, well-thought-up complement once every 2 months over a "you're beautiful" every single day.

Now don't get me started on 'You have really great eyes' . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment